Wednesday 6 April 2011

welcome to my new blog. come on in if you have pizza.

most people reading this post are likely to be readers of my old blog. And you're probably wondering what the hell is different. And the good answer is, I don't know. Well actually that's a terrible answer, but it's the best I could come up with.

I guess I'm just seeing the world differently. I'm attempting to broaden my interests. I'm finding better ways to express myself through the medium of nature. I'm becoming a 15-year old who is a throwback to the bloody 60's in other words!

got a bit fed up with The Crazy Cuckoo, bless the old gal. She just didn't really seem that passionate about the things I loved, and we finally broke up when she refused to make my counter go high enough. But I've learned from my mistakes. I've found A very, very, very amateur naturalist instead. who has promised to renew my love and energy of the outdoors, in return for me not putting to much pressure on it's stats. It's a deal I was only too happy to agree to. I'm happier, it's happier and the Crazy Cuckoo is allowed out of its by now strained relationship. Like a first love, it was great while it lasted, and a year was a good run. And I'll never forget the times I shared with it. They were pretty awesome.

So, it's a new look, new interests, maybe (though I highly doubt it) a slightly more mature and wise view of the world. But don't bank on it.

With all that in mind, I think this post should mark a new beginning. In some small way. In fact, it's probably the same bile I used to say, I'll let you decide...

It's the 6th of April today. It was a glorious, sunny day. I was stuck in Seaford, but still had some stuff to see.

Birdwise, I heard two Chiffchaff singing today. Everyone's heard loads of them already I'm sure, but these were only my second and third of the year! At school, there are still a few Pied Wagtails, at least one of which has taken to singing from the roof above our English block.

Herring Gulls are on many the rooftops locally. I might even dedicate a post to them at some point in the future...

From my window as I type, I can hear Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Great Tit, Dunnock and Greenfinch.

In non-birdy news, the Toadspawn in our pond has hatched, and Toad tadpoles are now all over the place. There are also a lot of Smooth Newts still about. They snack on all the frogspawn and Frog Tadpoles, but Toads are lucky enough to taste truly disgusting. Newts know a lot better than to gorge themselves on these, so in our pond, Frog tadpoles normally do very poorly(unless we remove them and out them into a bucket) while Toad tadpoles, free of their competition and without any predators, positively proliferate.

I also saw my first Cabbage White of the year today. Plus Bumblebees of some form (Buff-tailed I think) are out in force. As are Wasps sadly. But I don't try to identify them. Wasps are only to be swatted away, while building up a considerable volume of money in your metaphorical swear jar...

well, my first post hopefully went pretty well. please give any feedback below. And if you followed me before, it'd be good if you could follow this blog too. And please spread the word about this new blog... 

all the best to you all

Liam Curson

an arty (crap) shot of Herring Gulls, done for some sort of effect

2 comments:

  1. I'll miss the Crazy Cuckoo, but all things must change.:-)
    Nowt the matter with the 60s btw, so if your a throw back it's not a bad time to be thrown back to! It's good that you are taking a wider look at things Liam. Anyway that's the type of blogs I prefer. Don't be influenced by stats and write the blog for you. The Crazy Cuckoo has gone (or has it, as I think there may still be at least a partial crazy cuckoo there lol), long live the very,very, very amateur naturalist. Good Luck. Brian.

    ReplyDelete